Questions About Car Accidents

I don’t have any obvious injuries. Should I still see a doctor?

Yes. Certain types of injuries – such as whiplash and brain injury – might not show any symptoms immediately after your car accident. You should be examined by a medical professional as soon as possible to document your condition and make sure you are okay. If you decide to pursue a personal injury claim later, you will need this documentation to prove that your injuries were directly related to the car accident.

car accident

The other driver’s insurance company has already offered me a settlement. Should I take it?

No. Do not accept any settlement from the other driver’s insurance company until you have consulted with an experienced car accident attorney. In most cases, the settlement they offer will be much less than the true value of your injury claim. Insurance companies know that accident victims are in a tough situation, especially if you are missing time form work and have medical bills that need to be paid. The company is hoping you will accept less than you deserve so they can resolve your claim with minimal impact to their own bottom dollar.

Simply having an attorney on your side can help immensely when negotiating with insurance companies; once they know you have legal representation, they tend to take your claim more seriously in order to avoid the cost of a trial.

What are my legal rights for compensation after a car accident?

If you or a loved one have suffered injuries because of a car accident, you can pursue a personal injury case to recover compensation for your injuries. If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, you can file a wrongful death case to pursue compensation for your loss.

What damages can I recover compensation for in a car accident case?

Victims of car accidents can recover compensation for injuries and related expenses by proving negligence of another person in a personal injury action. The law does not provide an avenue for compensation when the accident was your own fault.

If you can establish the fault of the other driver, you may be entitled to recover:

  • Current and future medical expenses
  • Lost income
  • Loss of ability to work in the future
  • Loss of ability to perform living and other routine activities (sports) that you have participated in the past
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering: past, present and future
  • Property damage

If the driver was drunk, you may also be able to seek punitive damages (also known as “exemplary damages”), which are designed to punish or make an example of the defendant and discourage others from engaging in the same dangerous behavior.

What am I entitled to in a wrongful death case?

Wrongful death actions are a way to pursue compensation for your loss if you have lost an immediate family member. Some states will allow you to file a wrongful death claim if you were financially dependent on the deceased person but not directly related to them.

In wrongful death cases, you must prove that the death was caused by the negligence of the defendant. You may be able to recover damages for:

  • Loss of companionship with the deceased
  • Actual financial losses if you were dependent on the deceased
  • Mental or emotional pain and suffering as a result of your loss and grief

Why should I choose Stuart L. Plotnick to represent my car accident case?

Maryland car accident attorney  Stuart L. Plotnick spent over a decade working on the “other side” of car accident cases – as counsel for insurance companies. This experience has given him unique insight into the legal strategies that insurance companies use against accident victims. This experience has given him valuable insight into the strategies that insurance companies use to downplay or dismiss the claims of car accident victims.

When you hire Mr. Plotnick to represent you, you can rest assured that he will build the most powerful case possible on your behalf.

Schedule a Case Evaluation with Our Car Accident Attorney Today

If you have been injured in a car accident in Rockville or Bethesda, Maryland, please contact the Law Offices of Stuart L. Plotnick at (301) 605-9469 today to schedule a free case evaluation. We can help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve.